From The Mud Puddle

Monday, January 08, 2007


A few weeks ago, I posted about our adventures of getting a Christmas tree and how big it was and how hard it was to get it inside and the horror of discovering that our washtub was not big enough for the tree's root ball.

Today was the day for taking the tree outside (if possible) so we could plant it in our yard. We had not planned on doing this today as it was suppose to rain all day. We woke up, however, to sunny skies.

I started by dipping the water out of the tree one tiny water bottle at a time. Somewhere as I neared the bottom, I lost the water bottle. We figured we had enough water out of it anyway, so we proceeded to get the tree out of the house. My husband and son started pushing the tree in the feed trough across the floor. When they got to the threshold of the door, my husband went outside to pull up and over the metal piece while my son continued to push the tree forward. They got it halfway across the threshold and then decided to let the tree fall out the rest of the way, using gravity to their advantage. This also meant that the rest of the muddy water ended up on the front porch. (still not as messy as the year my son and I had the great idea to take the live tree out ourselves without my husband a few years ago LOL) Without much more effort..the tree was down the steps and in the grass. My husband used our handcart (that we use with phone books) to roll the tree to where we wanted to plant it.

My husband began to dig a hole while my son and I tried to dig out the hose to clean the porch. The hose has holes...and after messing with it and applying some duct tape, we decided it was pointless and stupid for us to try to use it (especially as it kept spraying cold water on us....we definitely dont need cold water on us as we are getting over the flu) My son threw it away. My daughter brought container after container of water that I could pour on the porch to at least clean it some with the broom. (at least so we do not track mud/dirt inside as we come and go.) My husband finally got the hole dug, the tree in and we all came back inside.

I am happy it is outside finally. We have said we will never buy one that big again...they all have to be smaller than us...

Some final pictures of the tree as it looked inside decorated before Christmas..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comment(s):

Look at the size of that root ball!

You're right. The tree is massive. But it's beautiful: even moreso outside :-)

By Blogger Livemalls, at 8:41 PM, January 09, 2007  

I know. The root ball is HUGE! As my husband placed the tree in the hole to plant it....it about drug him into the hole too!

The tree really looks a lot better in our front yard than it did inside. (though we did end up enjoying it inside while it was here eventually...well until the flu came...and until the dog chewed through one of our new light sets..another story..)

By Blogger Muddy, at 2:02 AM, January 10, 2007  

Post a comment

<< Home