From The Mud Puddle

Thursday, October 14, 2004

They had called for rain today. We knew it was coming, but we were lulled into a false sense of no rain when the clouds kept breaking apart where we could see lighted sky of blue.

As we were getting ready to head out the door, we saw the downpour. We were leaving to go to church. I was gathering my "foods" that I could eat as I drove down the highway to church. It was raining hard! We gathered our things and ran in the rain to the car. The thought came to me , that if I drove on, I would probably drive right out of the storm enough that I could make it to church, and into church before the storm hit there. I also figured that I would make it back out again not in the rain, since the storm would pass while I was under the cover of church. I figure God orchestrated all of these thoughts in my otherwise muddled head trying to give direction and guidance through the storm.

So I ran, and drove with the kids in tow. (and my foods under my arm lol) We had to drive for a good 15-20 minutes before we were back out of the storm. I was beginning to think that maybe I should turn back towards home. Maybe home would be safer, dryer, less dangerous than trying to drive the 65 miles in the rain (most of which are on the highway) In anxious prayer, I asked God to keep us safe as we traveled, and to give wisdom if we really needed to turn around and come home. But here we were, coming out of the rain...coming out of the storm....slowly drying off as we continued down the highway. Not only that, but we began to see that sky blue through some of the clouds. We also began seeing things in the clouds....a dog sucking his thumb....and a bear on his back (and since we only recently saw Country bears, the movie-I called this bear in the clouds a country bear lol) God was entertaining us with His cloud artwork. He took us from anxious to giggles as we looked up into His sky. We made it across the bridge that covers Jordan Lake, looking across its great width, and saw the sky, from one direction, you could see the sky slowly being taken over by the clouds....but my what a beautiful sight there...it becomes praise to God each time I look at the changing sight each time we ride over it and take time to notice. We made it to church, and walked in on dry land...long before the storm reached church.

In the middle of the service, we heard the sky drop out. We all three grinned at one another, knowing that God had helped us make it to church safely and under cover-the cover of His church building, under the His wing....clean and dry.

The teaching was done by someone in the congregation tonight as our pastor was away...and while it wasn't as crisp and filling as the normal teaching from our pastor....one of the verses just seem to sum up so graciously what I KNOW is true of God....even more now perhaps as we have been covered while in a horrible storm, not just tonight-but this past year as well. My place is in Gods palm. My life is in His hands. I am safe in God, and this is my prayer as I take refuge in Him.

Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge.
Psalm 16:1

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home