From The Mud Puddle

Monday, January 05, 2009

I live in an area where if I drive less than a mile down the road I am deep into the countryside. If I drive a mile in the other direction, I find myself in our little country town. Driving about five more minutes in that same direction I am in the suburbs and have close to every store I could want within my reach. It's really sort of odd to be right here in the countryside, yet right here so close to convenience. I'd say I have the best of both worlds. Cows, horses, pigs and chickens to my left and town to my right.

Driving home on Sunday, my daughter and I took a detour through some of the backroads to cut through the area quicker. As we came upon this one area we are well familiar with, chickens greeted us from the middle of the road. There was no getting around making a joke about 'why did the chicken cross the road' since they were right there. . We determined they crossed the road to find food.

Finally, that riddle is solved

We drove slowly through this area, not really wanting to hit one of the chickens. Highly amused, we drove on the short distance home and grabbed the camera so that we could return to capture the chickens photograph.

This one was more than happy to oblige, and preened and posed as she or he strutted there stuff...with the sun setting in the background...


Most of the rest of the chickens had safely made it across the road and now were pecking in the gravel of their owner's house. Perhaps they were "graveling" for food?


The horses across the street looked on too, amused at the entertainment of the chickens, and then the humans that found the chickens and goats (no picture) and lastly the horses so engaging.

As we turned around, the owner of the animals was walking down the driveway with a feed bucket in hand. We waved as we drove by.

5 comment(s):

Sounds like you have my dream set-up. Rural one way, urban the other.

Definitely is the best of both worlds.

Love the animals!

By Blogger MSM, at 6:11 PM, January 06, 2009  

Perhaps you are neighbors with my parents?

I always feel like I've been transported back in time when I visit them in rural New York. Yet, just a bit down the road, there is WalMart. Of course.

By Blogger Rachael, at 10:21 PM, January 08, 2009  

I know when we first moved out here, I felt like I was moving to the middle of no where (mainly because of the direction we were coming from).

Rachael, I love reading your mom's blog. Her stories and pictures do indeed seem to take you back in time a bit.

By Blogger Muddy, at 11:56 PM, January 08, 2009  

I would love to live in an area like that!!

By Blogger Eli's Lids, at 1:05 AM, January 09, 2009  

I'm so envious - your environment looks so lovely! And I'm so glad you answered the eternal question about the chicken crossing the road ... :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 AM, January 09, 2009  

Post a comment

<< Home