From The Mud Puddle

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The silence has a reason and purpose. It is called phone book deliveries. Each December for the past five years, my kids and I (and often my husband as well) deliver phone books in the Greensboro area. We started when my daughter was 9, my son was 7-and back when we had a station wagon. Now we have progressed with this to use a cargo van, and it's so different from those first couple of days. One thing remains the same. God blesses our efforts because we realize we are working for Him and not man. It's how we got this computer I type on afterall. Anyway-that is why my thoughts may seem a bit limited. Oh they are there, but Im just too busy mostly to type them out here.
Oh and for some reason, I just had a fall on the sidewalk. Why does THIS always happen during phone books? Last year it was because of some ice on our steps two or three days before we stopped . Then there was the fall during the winston salem books this year...and now this. All I can reason is that I am pooped most of the time we do this. Its good work, but definately is draining. In fact I probably should be sleeping rather than typing, especially since each word hurts my hand...
If looking to make a bit of extra money....look to see if the talking phone book people have a directory for your area. They were recently bought by the Hearst(sp) co...and plan on expanding 250% according to our distribution manager. Its a great way to make some extra $$'s on the side-if you dont mind hard work. We've done it both with just a plain car, station wagon and now the van. Of course we make more with the van-but didnt do too badly with the car or station wagon if you ask me! We do three area counties as they come this way each year. April and June are the other phone book months (and times when we take some time off of our homeschooling as well.) Those are shorter times though. It's also been nice since the kids are able to be right there with me. For this stay-at-home-mom...that is a blessing. Many wonderful memories have been made on these phone book jouneys. Perhaps a few might end up here....
God bless and take care!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home