From The Mud Puddle

Saturday, September 09, 2006

I remember being handed a little green bible in college. Mr Martin was a leader in my church and also a Gideon. He was the one that handed me the little green Gideon bible on the UNCG campus. I offered the bible back because I felt it would be better served giving it to someone else that was not saved. He said to keep it anyway. He wanted me to have it. Somehow between my husband and I we ended up with three little green bibles from the Gideons over the time in college.

Eventually when we had our daughter Hannah, we gave her one of them. She would lay out on the couch "reading" it. (between 18 months and two years old at first) It was a bible I could give her that she could do what she wanted with it(meaning if she accidentally spilled milk on it, smeared peanut butter on it, crumpled a page etc-it didn't matter) She carried that little bible around in her purse...and around the house everywhere. She would lay on the couch with it singing "Jesus Loves Me" as she "read". Officially I consider it her first bible (even though the our Sunday school class gave her one when she was born and the church gave her one of the little pink ones on the day she was dedicated to the Lord) because it was the first bible she became comfortable with it in a beautiful way.


When my son was born, we gave him one...and then both would lay on the couch "reading" as he would mimic his sister. The third lays under our bed in a box with a soft white baby blanket. It was to be for our third child that basically skipped this Earth and went straight for Heaven (just like child 4 and 5).

I hope the Gideons continue in their spreading of the word one bible at a time. I pray for those that receive God's word in this manner that God will bless it to their lives.

I will close with a passage of scripture that is on my mind at this hour as I type this..

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6: 6-9

1 comment(s):

Thanks Lue, and nice to meet you.

Kids are indeed a blessing!

My prayer is that God be glorifed in my life and that of my family.

By Blogger Muddy, at 12:51 AM, September 11, 2006  

Post a comment

<< Home