From The Mud Puddle

Thursday, June 19, 2008

We didn't have big plans for my son's birthday. Not like last year where I took my kids swimming and later to dinner. No, this year was much more low key.

The first hurdle was trying to figure out when we might eat cake and let him open his presents. My daughter works mornings, my husband works afternoon/late evenings.

We settled on my daughter staying up a little bit later and my husband coming home a little bit earlier. Had we planned things out prior to the day before, my husband might have been able to come home earlier than he did or my daughter might could have rearranged her schedule somewhat, but as we all know, hindsight is always 20/20 and we live and learn. (or we at least try to do things better next time around the block)

Last night, when my husband got home we ate a little cake. The cake actually had figurines on it (I'm not sure what else to call them-even though to call them figurines sounds a bit too frilly for some Nintendo characters to me) He loves Mario Karts so this was appropriate in this time of his life. The cake turned out OK. It tasted good, which is all that matters anyway, but what I saw in my head certainly is not what you see in the pictures.
My son, Christopher, also opened up some gifts from us last night. It was a fun hour, over much too quickly as is usually the case with cake and presents.
This afternoon when my daughter got off work, she and I took Christopher to his favorite Mexican Food place for a special meal. When he was six years old, Mac n Cheese was good enough for his special birthday meal. Today it was chips and salsa and some good burritos.
We made our way home for a quiet evening of playing games and watching TV. The day was cooler here (in the 80's) than recent days which added to it being a really nice day. All in all, his turning 16 was special, though watching the video that I made last year posted below really made me tear up this morning as I remembered the day he was born. I tell him, "You were cute then" with a grin.


5 comment(s):

Happy Birthday to your son. My son (7) would LOVE those "figurines"; he's an expert Nintendo player! Where'd you get them?

By Blogger Rachael, at 10:06 PM, June 19, 2008  

Thanks! Game Stop had them last week. We had to go to two of the stores before finding them. The first we went to said that they were special items they only got at Christmas. The other one only had one of yashi and mario and two of luigi. You might try calling around.

It was funny making this themed cake since I do not know how many years it has been since he has had a themed cake and this was his 16th-but he loved it...even at his age. (and it was fun to make.)

By Blogger Muddy, at 11:18 PM, June 19, 2008  

CUTE cake! Love the Nintendo characters. Sounds like a great birthday. : )

By Blogger MSM, at 11:13 PM, June 20, 2008  

Happy Birthday to him!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 AM, June 22, 2008  

MSM, it was a good day-for him and for us.

Thank you Kelsey!

By Blogger Muddy, at 11:06 PM, June 22, 2008  

Post a comment

<< Home