From The Mud Puddle

Sunday, December 14, 2008


BooMamaChristmasTour
Last year I participated in Boo Mama's Tour of Homes. That post can be found here.
Since a lot of what I do for Christmas decorations is traditional, I'm just going to share some of what's new for this year in this post.
I'm glad you came!
Bayley, our 9 year old cocker spaniel is glad you came too. To him, your arriving meant "getting" to wear the reindeer antlers for a photo opt....
Yeah, I don't think that "getting to" is quite the phrase Bayley used either....


He quickly shook those things off of his head...I think he is on to me. He knows that these photos end up on the Internet nowadays, and he wants no part of it.


He did however wait patiently for his Bil Jac Dog Treat though....


As you come up the walkway to my house, you will see that we added some outdoor decorations this year. Lit trees and candy canes line the walk..


and a big "chubby" (says it on the box) santa watches you as you make your approach...
We kind of figured Bayley would bark at it as it inflated....he barks at anything that moves in our yard (or the neighbor's yard-even the neighbors)...But santa-no barking. I guess Bayley knows who fills his stocking up each Christmas and is on good terms with him or something...


I ditched the greenery this year that I usually put over my porch railing. I went to Target instead and bought white corded lights. I have a confession to make. As much as I love Christmas, love decorating for Christmas and all that Christmas is...I just had a hard time getting into it this year. The decorations sat in the dining room floor for a good couple of days before I touched them...We went for a small $10 live tree this year (yeah I know-good price huh?) that is about three feet rather than the ball root tree...and we just got around to decorating the outside yesterday. Maybe this is one of our off years. In years past we had deadlines because of phone book deliveries and even further back we had small children that prompted us to decorate early. This year nothing...just busy stuff...and lack of motivation. Now it's there, I like it and am glad we finally got our acts together...but it's different and feels different. Maybe this is how it feels when the kids become adults (I have an 18 and 16 year old) and things change once more.


With all that said, these window wreaths that have sat in this box on the front porch are going back into the attic without being put up this year. I like that we bought some new things this year and are changing it up somewhat. So here is the box filled with greenery that we've used for many years! It is not a part of my house tour really-just being real here on the Internet you know...


This is our house flag of a puppy sitting outside of his dog house saying "snowed inn".


Inside, we put up the live $10 tree as I mentioned and the three little trees you can read about in last year's post if you are so inclined. What we changed from last year is that instead of having a homemade ornament tree...we made one a playmobil/webkinz ornament tree after my daughter hijacked it decorating it with some of her old playmobil and using some of our webkinz ornaments we bought this year. I loved it....it made such a cute "toy" tree.


Brown webkinz cow with cookies!

Playmobil snowman stuffed on top!

Webkinz Googles



Playmobil boy practicing apparently a rescue move....or um...being rescued?


Using the playmobil ornaments brought my 18 year old daughter, Hannah great joy as she remembered the Advent Playmobil thing that I bought her and her brother when they were smaller. She decided it was time for something new playmobil wise..so she bought the nativity scene.

As she unpacked the pieces and we examined them....I became concerned that we might be rewriting the nativity story somewhat....I have to share exactly what happened.....(LOL)

We mean no disrespect in the least. Praise God for the advent of his Son Jesus. We were just having some fun with how playmobil depicted the nativity....as we really did like this set. It also came with the story of the Nativity in six different languages.

This guy below became known to us first as the wise man with the twig in his turban. Jay, my husband, later corrected us and said that the thing sticking out of the turban is really a weave. He also seems to be a bit darker than the other two wise men in this nativity set. It made me wonder if the two other wise men were the only ones from "the orient" as the song goes....and that they made a swing through Africa picking up their best buddy there. He holds his suitcase and a big trophy thing. Inside the suitcase Hannah placed another box that she said really looked a lot like the same shape the baby powder playmobil piece looked like(that she has through another set). I suggested perhaps this king was bringing Baby Jesus baby powder among his gift mentioned in scriptures? He also is wearing gold chains around his neck like Mr T (which was Hannah's first comment about him!)


This king below got dubbed "Burger King". He carries an empty suitcase of gold and his staff. We believe that as he left the stable, he took with him the cow you see in the last picture as he started his burger empire. He did not really look like he was from the East either...he had a more Anglo Saxon appearance. What's up with that?


This king comes bearing a neti pot and salts . It makes perfect since since the neti pot is made by the Himalayan Institute since the Himalayas are in Asia and all. We dubbed this guy "Yankee Doodle" since he stuck a feather in his cap...and well you know the rest of that song... He probably is the more authentic looking wiseman...


Why is this shepherd walking around with a bag that makes him look like a hobo or a runaway? Yeah, we did not really know either. As Hannah placed his head gear in place, she said "and this is his "do rag". Um yeah...


This girl angel got dubbed "Allysa" from the webkinz site. It really does not make a lick of sense unless you are familiar to the game...but to us we found it funny . Hannah placed the book in her hand so that she could remember her words...you know..."Fear not, for behold I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be to all people"..... I just shook my head .....


The animals....the longhorn cow went home with Burger King


Hannah also got two mini sets....we wondered why Santa had a stick....and then also noted that the snowman and boy seem prepared with shovels in case santa came at them with same stick....I'll let you know if we wake up one morning to casualties! Oh and Hannah noted that the snowman had a cute lil chamber pot on his head. Oohhh...I really need to make sure that I need to review the correct nativity story with both my kids this year as well as the traditional ways the holiday stories are told. They seem to have become a little misinformed...doncha think?






And with all seriousness, I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas. Thank you for coming to my house for the open house!

For more Tour of Homes hosted by BooMama, be sure to visit her site:


BooMamaChristmasTour

God bless and Take Care!

31 comment(s):

Love that Playmobile nativity - never seen one before.

Hope you get a chance to visit my Northern Ireland blog.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

By Blogger Unknown, at 3:37 AM, December 15, 2008  

Oooh ... my girls love Playmobil; they'll love that nativity. I'm glad Baylee was in the photos too! Merry Christmas!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 AM, December 15, 2008  

Your dogs reaction is the same mine had when I tried to put a santa hat on. LOL Thanks for sharing your pics. I love the toy tree and nativity. Very kid friendly!

By Blogger Dena, at 10:29 AM, December 15, 2008  

OHHHH--The big Santa is darling!! I enjoyed my visit here:)

Merry Christmas

Julieann

By Blogger Julieann, at 12:10 PM, December 15, 2008  

I'm crying 'cause I'm laughing so hard!! I wanted this nativity set the first time I saw it. Now when/if I ever get it I'll remember your story. Thanks for sharing!!

By Blogger Erika, at 12:26 PM, December 15, 2008  

Hmm... I already bought BB a Little People Nativity set, but the Playmobile one looks like it's pretty fun...

By Blogger Heather, at 1:12 PM, December 15, 2008  

I think everything looks wonderful! Not an off year at all :o) Come and visit me at my house (blog)!

By Blogger Ashley, at 1:30 PM, December 15, 2008  

My sister-in-law had a cocker named Bailey that looked just like yours! Unforunately our Bailey passed away this summer. It was cool to see yours! Thanks for sharing :)

By Blogger Melodie Norman Haas, at 1:35 PM, December 15, 2008  

THis little nativity is so cute- and neti pot and salts- so funny!!!

blessings
mary

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM, December 15, 2008  

I laughed and laughed at that manger scene! Especially the Alyssa's star challenge part-you guys are so creative!!

Caroline

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM, December 15, 2008  

You are so funny! Your dog really steals the show...how cute! Thanks for sharing your home with all of us!
-Kim

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 PM, December 15, 2008  

i adore bayley! he reminds me of my sweet cocker spaniel i had growing up :)
i love the nativity! my daughter has the veggie tales one...i really should've taken a video of it cuz laura carrot sings... hee hee

By Blogger Carrie, at 7:27 PM, December 15, 2008  

Such a cute nativity! I love it! Merry Christmas! Thanks for sharing!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 PM, December 15, 2008  

Your dog certainly was on to you:). But still cute! Merry Christmas!

By Blogger Anne, at 7:55 PM, December 15, 2008  

Bayley is soooo cute! Our dog hates having anything on his head too and will shake it off as soon as he can! Thanks for the tour!

Manuela

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 PM, December 15, 2008  

Your reindog stole the show!

Merry Christmas

By Blogger Keetha Broyles, at 8:18 PM, December 15, 2008  

Merry Christmas! Thanks for sharing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM, December 15, 2008  

OMG I had a cocker spaniel named Bayley too!!!!
Droping by from the Christmas tour of homes... Love your house deco!

By Blogger vaneblu, at 10:45 PM, December 15, 2008  

Thanks for sharing your holiday home and the story behind it. Merry Christams!

By Blogger jill, at 11:28 AM, December 16, 2008  

Thanks for sharing. I laughed out loud at the nativity narrative!

By Blogger lisa@littlesliceoflife, at 11:30 PM, December 16, 2008  

Playmobile nativity - priceless.
It's funny how 'into' it you all got. THAT's Christmas spirit!

By Blogger MSM, at 12:13 PM, December 17, 2008  

Reviewing the essentials of the Nativity story isn't ever a bad plan - interesting historical figures from Playmobil people. Thank you for opening your home and giving us a chuckle or two --Merry Christmas!

By Blogger LindaSue, at 7:53 PM, December 17, 2008  

Cute nativity set! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

By Blogger KarenW, at 11:09 PM, December 17, 2008  

Thank you for the Christmas laughs with the nativity scene! It really is a cute one and what a conversation piece! HA! Your dog is so very cute! Thank you for sharing your home (and stopping by mine). Have a very Merry Christmas!

By Blogger Carrie, at 10:44 AM, December 18, 2008  

Very cute!

By Blogger The Long Family, at 4:18 PM, December 18, 2008  

Barley is so cute! I have a cocker spaniel too and we put antlers on her years ago. They stayed there less than a minute. :)

Thanks for the tour, and have a merry Christmas!

By Blogger the voice of melody, at 4:58 PM, December 18, 2008  

That nativity, with the descriptions, was great! Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas!

By Blogger Ami, at 9:12 PM, December 18, 2008  

The kids are so funny when they name things! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Christmas holiday!

By Blogger phillips phamily , at 8:45 PM, December 19, 2008  

I had a hard time getting into the Christmas decs this year, too, but loving seeing everyone else's on the tour! I LOL'd at your dog and his antlers! :)

By Blogger Susan, at 6:58 PM, December 21, 2008  

Oh my gosh, I'm almost crying over here laughing!!! I love what you said about Santa, the snowman & boy and their weapons! Too funny! I love the little nativity. I might need to find one of those!

Be Blessed!

By Blogger Divamom, at 7:32 PM, December 25, 2008  

Thanks everyone for visiting and commenting on my blog. I loved reading what you had to say and getting to know some new bloggers!

By Blogger Muddy, at 12:03 AM, January 09, 2009  

Post a comment

<< Home