From The Mud Puddle

Friday, May 08, 2009


This week for MommySweetMom's TIMHT, I present the Brother Advanced Deluxe Labeler Model PT-1880 P-touch system (for home and office).

In other words, I present my newest toy.

I went to Staples to buy the Casio Labeler that they had for sale for $20 that had a rebate for $20. Free appeals to me. I got there and asked where the labelers that were on sale were. The salesman grabbed one off the pegs and handed it to me. I did not have the sale's ad with me and did not check to make sure it was the one with the rebate. I paid my $20 bucks and went home. As I poked around the Internet trying to figure out where the rebate was since the sales guy did not give me one, I came to realize that I did not get the eventual free one after rebate. I got another one that was for the same price. Mine had an instant rebate taking the price from $50 to $20.

I knew that somewhere this sales guy-a young guy that did not seem to have the ability to listen to what any customer had to say after some long observations (made when the power went out for 20 minutes during a downpour). The salesperson seemed to think he knew what we were going to ask or say and tuned out anything we said beyond what he wanted to hear.

Anyway...so I sat here...sad to find I did not have the right labeler to get the free one...but likewise finding myself sold more and more on this one in particular the more I looked into it's superior qualities.

It was too late to take it back that day (and a 30 minute drive in the rain at that) . I called my husband, who is in the wholesale office supply business, to ask him some questions about my new problem that would not have been a problem had they given me the RIGHT LABELER!!!

Breatheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anyhow, he informed me that I had the better labeler between the two....one of their "best sellers" at that and encouraged me to just keep what I had since I in reality got a $30 dollar savings rather than the $20. (But Freeeeeee is Freeeeee I kept thinking)

I decided to just open it up and keep it. I placed the batteries in the back and loaded the label tape. It did not work.

I checked to make sure I had the batteries in right. It did not work.

I checked to make sure I had fresh batteries. It did not work.

I plugged it into the wall with an adapter. IT DID NOT WORK!!!

Breatheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I shoved it all back into the packaging and into the bag with the receipt. Frustrated, I knew I'd have to make another trip to Staples the next day. Oh joy!

At this point I rethought the whole thing and debated the two different labeler machines. I compared the features online and thought and thought some more.

Thankful that this was my biggest problem for the day, I went to bed indecicive about which labeler, if any, should come home with me the next day-provided the Staples I went to would have options.

I ended up doing an even exchange. With all that this one can do, all the neato features, I think it will service us well as we try to um...er...label things. It really is a neat machine-something I have had on my "wish list" for several years since using one.

The only thing that really bugs me in this is that the original sales guy sold me the wrong thing. I do not know if it was ignorance on his part (not knowing what I was asking for) or if they did not have the special ones or what. When I went to exchange the one, I did not even see the special ones on the shelves or a regular place for them on the shelf. I am guessing it is something you had to ask for by pointing at the picture in the sale paper or something and they would get it from the back or something. I kind of feel "had" a little bit-but am happy with my new machine. I did not put out MORE money than I would have for the other one initially-I just am not getting any back.

4 comment(s):

I was smiling as I read this - it sounds like my thought process (I'm all about the FREE!). It does sound like salesguy was either deliberately misleading, or (more likely) just uninformed about the specials at the store where he works. Shame on him! I'm glad you got the right one and hope it works great!

By Anonymous Susan, at 6:48 AM, May 08, 2009  

It works really well. It's a lot of fun. The only project I have tackled with it was making my new coupon organizer labels with it. (as oppose to just writing the catagories on the outside of the Hefty ziploc baggies with a pen LOL)

By Blogger Muddy, at 1:37 AM, May 12, 2009  

Sorry I'm so late; been way behind on bloggy world, :)

I get that dilemma of yours, the "principle" of the matter always gets to me!

I have a cheap, handheld labeler and I LOVE it. Coupon notebook, files, pantry shelves, you name it (pun intended!!) LOL

By Blogger MSM, at 10:52 PM, May 12, 2009  

To me, it sounds like the sales guy didn't want to be bothered and just handed you a labeler. It sounds like a good one, but I can understand wanting one for "free".

Nancy

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:58 AM, May 14, 2009  

Post a comment

<< Home