From The Mud Puddle

Thursday, November 25, 2010

It is Thanksgiving Morning and I am awake while the rest of my family sleeps. We are all sick with some sort of crud; week two of us having something passing around between us. I am grateful for the fact that we do not have to go anywhere-besides perhaps to CVS or Walmart later to get some vicks salve to put under our nose so we can breath better.

Below is the column I wrote for Thanksgiving. May you and yours be blessed this season as we all give thanks to God.

As my husband, son, daughter and I walked out into the parking lot tonight, they were a couple of steps ahead of me. I watched as each of them laughed and talked about nothing much in particular. It was a moment of being content; of being thankful for these wonderful people that God wove together into a family so many years ago.

These three people have shaped who I am as our lives intertwine daily. My kids are at such an age that I learn as much from them as they have learned from me. My husband gives of himself daily to give his family the best possible life. He is my best friend and the one that I have built a life with all these many years. Our children, now adults, add to that joy.

I do not take the blessings in my life for granted; though there are many. To me, thankfulness is not just saying the words, “thank you”, but more an attitude of gratitude. The word, gratitude, defined as a feeling of thankfulness or appreciation seems to denote a deeper expression of praise more than words can convey.

Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind. Psalm 107:8a

To “give thanks” is sacrificial; it is giving away a part of ourselves in appreciation for what has been done for us and those around us. It is an offering of our heart to God as we express our gratitude.

I feel gratitude for the home that we have; however humble it may be. It is a roof over our heads when the cold rain falls. It is walls surrounding our bodies when the blustery winds blow strong. It is a place to lay our head at night when we are tired from a day of work and play. It is a safe place to be when the rest of the world seems to be fighting against us.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18

I am thankful for food in our pantry and cabinets; overflowing at times from all the couponing that I have done as I’ve stocked up on staples. Even as times have been lean, my family has always had God’s provision in one way or another for a meal or the creativity to find a meal out of whatever is still there.

You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance. Psalm 65: 11

There is appreciation in my heart for the warm water to take a bath and to wash our dishes. I am grateful for just having water at all that runs through pipes and the tap directly where I need it each day. Water to keep us hydrated daily is not taken for granted as we know there are others in this world that do not have access to the creature comforts we have here.

Right now, as I am writing, I can hear the washing machine and dryer run. Neither would be necessary without the blessing of clothes to wear or sheets and blankets to wrap ourselves in that get dirty through daily use. I am grateful for the technology that makes this chore simpler than my grandmother and those before her had it.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever. Psalm 118: 1

This Thanksgiving season, a song of praise to God will rise up from our hearts as we sacrificially give thanks to our Lord Jesus for everything he has done for us. He has seen to all of our needs in His time and way including making a way for us to know Him through his son Jesus Christ.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:15-17

2 comment(s):

Happy Thanksgiving, Muddy! May God continue to bless you and your family.

By Blogger Livemalls, at 1:37 PM, November 25, 2010  

Thanks Steven. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

By Blogger Muddy, at 8:20 PM, November 25, 2010  

Post a comment

<< Home