From The Mud Puddle

Monday, April 28, 2008

My philosophy on my immediate family buying gifts for me is like this: If they are going to spend money on me, buying a gift, I want them to give me what THEY want me to have. They can keep in mind things they know I've said I liked or have been interested in, but mainly, I want them to give me what they want me to have. (if they are going to go to the trouble of buying me a gift at all) It doesn't have to be expensive, it doesn't have to be much. Just put some thought into it and make it meaningful and what they want for me.

This past birthday , my husband and kids wanted me to have the Trivial Pursuit Totally 80's Edition. My husband reasoned that we all enjoyed playing board games, that we had all enjoyed his very old edition of Trivial Pursuit (bought in the mid 80's incidentally), and that we might enjoy playing this edition since we, you know, lived the era and all. He also was considering our kid's ages and sentimentally also had in mind that we probably wouldn't have too many years left where we would stay up until 2 am playing a board game with the kids as we have been known to occasionally.

I loved him for why he bought it more than the gift itself (though was happily pleased with the gift too, mind you) We had both been looking at it, curious and now we could open it up and find out how well we remembered the 80's.

(BTW: What's with all the recent fascination with the 80's anyway? I mean, I have had younger-than-me people tell me they wish that they had grown up in the 80's because that is when all the good movies were made.(among other reasons) I think to myself, well, while I might agree, I also am baffled by the trendiness of the 80's)


So I opened up the box and found these really adorable game pieces; A very old type computer, a Trapper Keeper, a CD, and Tender heart Care Bear.

I used Tender heart Bear as my game piece as we played our first game. (though it really was hard for me to decide given how much I loved each game piece)

The questions were good. Some answers came easily, some were obscure, while others my husband and I just looked at one another and shrugged our shoulders wondering if we really had lived through that era. (which we did-honest! ) There were questions about music, and movies and President Reagan. There were questions about sports, and the wall coming down.

For the most part we completely enjoyed the game. Life got crazy after that and the game has sat on my broken sewing machine for the better part of the past six months mainly untouched. (it was also covered up with two huge pillows too-sham... er shame on us) Now life has slowed down considerably and I have been itching to pull this out and play a game or two of it again. The questions will be challenging, the competition fierce, but in the end, hopefully I'll win again as I did the first time we played. I am nothing if not competitive!

2 comment(s):

This game sounds like fun; I think my favorite version of Trivial Pursuit is still the original - which we still have and play.

A new version of something I DO like a lot - the Electronic Monopoly with "atm" cards (debit system). I always enjoyed amassing property and power : )
but never the headache of being my own bookkeeper.

By Blogger MSM, at 11:00 AM, April 28, 2008  

I probably would have to say that the original will always be the best TP, though what is funny now is how many of the questions are outdated and wrong. When we play the original, we have to keep in mind what the answer was THEN.

I remember seeing the atm version of monopoly and it sounded like so much fun! I'll have to look it up again next time I go game hunting. Real Arcade has a couple of fun versions of it that we've played through. Definately one of the better parts of the electronic version is that it does the calculations for you.

I had an old version for our 286 computer that someone gave us that would talk back to us if you wanted to do a trade. It would say "you are kidding me, right"

By Blogger Muddy, at 5:00 PM, April 28, 2008  

Post a comment

<< Home