From The Mud Puddle

Monday, October 25, 2004

Well I have spent the better part of today messing with this computer. No no, not just wasting time surfing LOL, but actually trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I've also spent some time backing up some of what I have left that is not on CD yet "just in case". I still have a few things left to back up, but nothing that I would be too terribly sad without if the unthinkable happened!
The story goes like this, Last week, I did a partial defrag. It still had about 40 % left to take care of, but I needed to get back on here for a bit, so quit. Well, it started sounding "funny". I figured it was the harddrive ...and that it didn't know what to do anymore with a tight disk . It did this all week, sometimes sounding worse than other times. A few weeks ago I had bought some air, so was planning on continuing to defrag and to go in and clean out the inside some. I have a new mouse here waiting on me as well as I wanted to clean the keyboard and all the areas real good around my computer. Well this morning, as I was checking email, it just cut off totally. It wouldn't cut back on again. (yes I felt like calling 911, my dear computer friend was in trouble here! ((((My box of metal and wires)))) ;) Anyway, I opened it up, and aired it with the can of air. (that was fun-though probably did my allergies no good) I decided to try to start it up again, and it did! Hooray! But now I know I am on borrowed time. I know that the air was only a quick fix for what is truly wrong. (well am just having a hard time thinking positively-we have lived on borrowed time with this thing for a long time :) Also last night, it smelled. I didn't attribute the smell to the computer until it cut off and I got closer and smelled the computer...ewww...It smelled like one of those smelly magic markers. So now I wonder what I am /have been inhaling all day from the smell of the computer. Sighz. Someone has suggested to me it might be the power source or something like that. We'll see. I just hope to finish cleaning it all up, burning things off of it etc, so that I can rule out other situations. Ahh and just as I was saying to another friend "its been a year since my last reformat"...knowing I was doomed in saying so. Ahh well...This has been my day-in the life of my computer and myself.
Its funny , sort of...that as my husband and I were talking last night....the topic came up about things we'd take in an extreme emergency...Supposing we had the time to grab a few things. Suprisingly to my husband, as he knows this is "My world" so often( literally, when I've been sick, and when we only had one car...etc...), the computer really wasn't one of them. (perhaps if I had a laptop...but since I don't, the computer isn't one) We also talked about how we have tried again and again to become less hindered by our things and by the pull of this world. (and we're slowly getting there....praise God) We have done different things to lessen what is actually "ours" in our home, from selling on eBay, to giving things away that we do not need anymore. We even had a yard sale/give sale last year. When I die, I do not want a house full of stuff left behind that my kids have to go through and sort out. I would hope our monies would have gone more towards our survival, our kids and grandkids while we are here to help them as they have need as well as other things God may put in our path to do....I even wonder at times why we have homes. Ours is a modest home...and we do actually do more here than sleep....it does keep us dry and clean. But so many just have homes to house their things. They own things, and have to pay to maintain things....and their whole existence is about their stuff. Hmm...just some thoughts there.
So we enjoy what God gives us to enjoy-but we hold it with a loose hand so that if God needs to, He controls when we have to let go of it and move on to what He has for us next.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home