From The Mud Puddle

Sunday, March 23, 2008

It's late in the day of Easter 2008. We went to a church nearby last night and then to my mother in laws for lunch with my husband's family this afternoon. We gave the kids a chocolate bunny (my daughter loves those things) and Bayley, our eight, almost nine year old Cocker Spaniel got a few extra dog treats (pictures to follow later)

As I considered what to write today, my mind filtered through many of the Easter's that I remember. There are some memories that are more of a secular nature with Egg hunts, Easter Baskets and parties. There are memories of going to church, dressing up (perhaps even in a new dress), new shoes and learning what Easter really was about. There is the Easter I saw my dad baptised when I was 12, and another Easter where we found out we were pregnant with Malea (our second baby that died)

Then there is the Easter, six years ago when we were attending a home church. For all of my 41 years, so far, this remains perhaps the most poignant of Easters in my walk with Christ. I was facing a serious decision I didn't want to make. (I just wanted God to take the problem away) I remember us going to church in shorts and jeans. All the outside was stripped away as we wore the ordinary and went into this person's living room in their home. There was no stained glass. The time at the home church was all about Jesus and not about what we were wearing or what was going on a few pews away. It was a couple of families gathered together to worship God through song and the reading of His word while sitting on some couches in a living room here in the South. There were no special songs or people singled out to sing them. The message came from where we were currently studying (as the teacher/pastor of the home fellowship felt that no matter where you taught in God's word, it always pointed to the cross and the resurrection of Jesus) God met me on that couch, right where I was, just as I was. (and continued to each Sunday we worshiped there in that house over the next few months)

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a critique of the church. I'm not on some campaign against the special songs, the special services or the special clothes that are enjoyed during the Easter Season. For me though, I get so distracted so easily. I know satan doesn't want us to celebrate Easter. He doesn't want me to be open and changed by God's word and the praise in my heart. (no matter what day of the week or year it is) I know I have to work hard at remembering:

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ 2 Corinthians 10:5

Even so, over time, as I've moved on past that particular Easter Sunday, there has yet to be an Easter where everything is stripped away in such a way as it was that particular Easter Sunday that all that is left is Jesus to be seen, worshiped and loved. That particular Easter remains one that will forever remind me of what it is like to worship God when all else fades grey to black while what is seen is His son, Jesus.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

Hope your Easter was blessed.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home