From The Mud Puddle

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Watching the end of American Idol Gives Back just now I was amazed to hear that the top 8 contestants ended the show by singing Shout To The Lord. It was amazing to hear them sing this song on national TV. It would have been even more amazing had they started the song with the original lyrics of My Jesus, rather than what they sang for the first verse instead. Still, it was amazing to hear it sung at all on TV. I wondered how many of them knew what they were singing or if it was just another song to them. I'm not questioning anyone's Christianity, mainly I am just curious.

I then asked why they had to bring the comedian back thereafter is beyond me. They took away from the moment they built having Shout to the Lord sung and the images of the causes of the night by bringing him back to the stage for a couple of cheap one liners. Come on American Idol, you are can do better than that. It was cheesy to take a poignant moment and then make jokes about where everyone was.

3 comment(s):

I couldn't believe they were singing that song either!!! My daughter and I were in shock, and kept looking at each other in disbelief.

I was still glowing in the moment and didn't even pay much attention to the Ben Stiller appearance at the very end, except to be turned off by the pretend "bleeped out" rant.

Yes, very poor ending; but shocking and incredible group song. That has l o n g been one of my favorite songs; and I think it was the first contemporary Christian song I ever learned / paid attention to, Now I'm hooked on the genre.

By Blogger MSM, at 9:53 AM, April 10, 2008  

Oh no, now you might actually make me watch American Idol. They sang Shout to the Lord?! What did they do instead of Verse 1?

By Blogger Tanya, at 11:30 AM, April 10, 2008  

Tanya, they changed my Jesus to my shephard. Here is a clip of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY8N5sdrEf8

By Blogger Muddy, at 12:08 PM, April 10, 2008  

Post a comment

<< Home