From The Mud Puddle

Friday, April 11, 2008

small button

Before I begin, I feel I really should say, I know I am not a fashion plate. (though I did have the toy in the late 1970's) My attitude towards fashion begins and ends with comfort over the way it may look on me. I cannot stand clothes that are tight or restrictive. I also struggle with the styles that come in my size. I dont like most of what is out there so much of the time. With that in mind, I present the outfit that bests represents me that I wear:


The above is a simple jumpsuit that I made from this pattern:

Since the early 1990's, I have made perhaps 10-12 of these jumpsuits out of regular interlock knit and waffle knit. The above jumpsuit has purple and light blue stripes with some white mixed in. If I can find the material cheap, then I usually can make one of these for less than 10 dollars, including the thread. I have to adjust the pattern for leg length and in a few other places to custom fit it the way I like it to fit. My favorite one of these that I made is a waffle knit navy blue one that is close to being thread bare now. I do have some regular interlock navy knit fabric in my closet waiting for me to make it into a jumpsuit, but I know it wont be the same as this particular navy suit that is wearing out. One of the things I like about this outfit is it is so versatile. I can wear it in the spring, summer, winter or fall. All I have to do is change the shirt that I am wearing under it. The waffle knit ones are particularly warm in the winter due to the heavy fabric. I also can dress it up or down depending on the shoes that I wear with it. I can wear my ballet flats(seen below) with it and it looks a little nicer. I can wear my tennis shoes (seen below) and it makes it a more casual outfit. I can wear it out and about or to church (and have many times.) I do not know anyone that wears one, so I am different in that I do not wear what everyone else is when I have this on. I really do need to make a new one, but my sewing machine is messed up right now too...so I need to get that fixed before I continue.
As for other things I wear...you might find me in a pair of knit pants (leggings, capris) or any various knit t-shirts that are comfy and long. I am a simple woman, with simple tastes and styles. Comfort over style-my fashion moto.

As mentioned...The Ballet Flats from Payless

My Bass Tennis Shoes

Thank you Big Mama for hosting this fashion fun.

For more fashion fun check out Big Mama's Fashion Fiesta

16 comment(s):

Hey, just dropping in from Big Mama's gig. I envy your sewing skill. Oh, how I wanted to sew my girls a dress when they were little but could barely do a button. Have fun at the Fiesta!

By Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee, at 5:51 AM, April 11, 2008  

Ooooooo. That looks SO comfy and free-to-be-me!

And I love your shoes too. I am a flats and sneakers gal!

By Blogger groovyoldlady, at 7:52 AM, April 11, 2008  

How fun to be able to sew your own clothes.

By Blogger Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart, at 8:05 AM, April 11, 2008  

I used to make a lot of my own skirts when I was in high school, but now it's just easier (and cheaper sometimes) to just buy clothes. I admire your skill, though!

By Blogger Jan Ross, at 9:21 AM, April 11, 2008  

Now if I could sew that would open up a whole new world! Too bad I didn't pay attention in Home Ec.

Thanks for playing!

By Blogger Big Mama, at 9:26 AM, April 11, 2008  

That looks so comfy.

By Blogger Musings of a Housewife, at 9:54 AM, April 11, 2008  

Thanks y'all for visiting my blog.

Sewing is a skill I learned from my mama with much resistance. She tried to teach me again and again. She even came to my home ec classes to help me out there when sewing was taking place. I still resisted sewing.

The jumpsuit is just as comfy as it looks.

Then I had a baby and she had a friend getting rid of an old sewing machine for 10 dollars that was just like hers. I agreed to take it and play with it and somehow got "into" it. Sewing for my kids was more fun than it was to sew something for myself. Slowly I started finding that I liked sewing for myself since I could control the fabric, style length etc of the outfit.

By Blogger Muddy, at 1:22 PM, April 11, 2008  

I'd just like to see YOU in that jumpsuit - - - it's so lonely empty!!!

Hey - - - I HATE to sew, so admire anyone who can endure that torture to make cute things.

By Blogger Keetha Broyles, at 4:43 PM, April 11, 2008  

My Grandma started to show me how to sew when I was middle-school aged but I think we both lost patience. LOL! There have been times since that I wish I would have continued the lessons, it would have been handy!

By Blogger Keri, at 5:06 PM, April 11, 2008  

I wish I knew how to sew! My mom used to sew summer outfits for us when we were growing up. Unfortunately, she doesn't sew anymore- I wonder why?

By Blogger Mommy Mo, at 5:10 PM, April 11, 2008  

Wow!

By Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville, at 5:40 PM, April 11, 2008  

Oh, to sew! My mom is a great seamstress and never taught me! I like to remind her of that fact! ;)

By Blogger ohAmanda, at 7:14 PM, April 11, 2008  

I love to sew, too. You've got some mad skillz to sew that thing 12 different times!

Thanks for sharing your summer fiesta outfit! :)

By Blogger SimplyAmusingDesigns.com, at 3:29 AM, April 12, 2008  

Great ballet flats.

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:34 PM, April 13, 2008  

You are so lucky to be able to sew and make whatever you want. I'm jealous! I gonna have to start bribing my kids to sew for me.

By Blogger MSM, at 3:11 PM, April 14, 2008  

Thanks guys for visiting my part of Big Mama's Fiesta.

Keetha, be sure-that jumpsuit has had many-a-day with me inside and will see many-a-day once more. Sewing started out as torture-but by calling 1800-help-me-sew (not a real number) as I called my mama to explain things so I could understand what in the world the pattern people were trying to say. IT's a language all of it's own.

Keri, Im sure that if push came to shove and you pulled out a sewing machine you'd remember more than you think you do. The thing I always hated in middle school when trying to learn was to have to pull out stitches I messed up.

Lisa, I know as I got older, I wished my mom continued to sew for me. If she had though, I might not have learned myself-so I guess there was a blessing in there somehow.

leigh, Thanks for visiting my blog!

Oh Amanda, Did you make the cute penguin in your avatar? I love it!

Karen, Thanks for visiting my blog. I dont know if I have "mad skillz" but in the process of sewing this thing again and again, and did I say again....I perfected the jumpsuit! LOL

janemary, those ballet flats are probably the most comfy shoes (besides tennis shoes LOL) that I have ever owned!

MSN, Your kids should sew for you! ::grinz::

By Blogger Muddy, at 10:06 PM, April 14, 2008  

Post a comment

<< Home