From The Mud Puddle

Monday, April 14, 2008

Yesterday, my husband and I took the kids and Bayley the dog to the park. The kids wanted to ride their bikes on one of the bike trails there. Jay and I planned to walk some with Bayley and then wait for them back at the van while they were out riding. It was a beautiful day with highs in the 60's.

The picture above this post is so misleading because while Jay, Bayley and I were out having a leisurely stroll through the park, our kids were flipping off of their bikes on top of one another on a winding steep curve that appeared on the bike trail without warning.

As we strolled back to the van, we saw our kids pushing their bikes as they hobbled along. We were curious as to what was going on as they had not been out there that long. Not knowing why they were opening the van doors to put their bikes back inside, I called out "wait, I wanted to get some pictures of you guys". I had no idea as I called out that my daughter was in severe pain.

She said, "Are you SERIOUS?"

As we got closer, I could see the pain on her face and the dirt on their clothes. They told us what happened quickly and then showed us that my son's bike was ruined. The wheels are so bent out of shape it is amazing he was able to get it back to the van alone. We got everyone in the van and they continued to tell us what happened.

Apparently as they were riding along this curvy steep area appeared. They tried to break unsuccessfully. They continued to pick up speed until they both went over the edge of the trail as they flipped over their bikes. A tree broke my son's fall. My daughter landed on or near him (they were so stunned they are very unsure of exactly where they fell), landing also on a part of her bike. Her bike is fine though, but her body is not.

As she rode home she kept saying that her leg was burning. We looked at it when we arrived home to see a huge swollen area appearing in the upper thigh. I called the doctor on call who wanted us to come on to their after hours clinic on the other side of Greensboro.

We got things set and left. She held ice on her leg the whole way there. I didn't really think it was broken, but wanted to have things checked out since she hurt so bad.

They took an x-ray of her leg (and her other knee cap that was also hurting pretty bad by now) Nothing was broken, but she has a muscle in her upper thigh that is hurt pretty badly. The doctor said it probably would feel a lot worse before it got better. She told us for things to watch for that might signal us to seek further medical attention.

She gave her some muscle relaxants and some high strength Advil. We left to go to the pharmacy and then home. It was about 10:30 by the time we made it all the way home after all of this.

She is still sore, but the meds seem to be doing the trick. My son has a stiff neck and back, but otherwise seems OK so far. We are thankful for God's protection over their lives and health. The helmets did what they are suppose to do (though my son's is damaged along with his bike.)

Gratitude, nothing but gratitude here to God alone.

3 comment(s):

WOW! That is such a shame - what should've been such a great family outing turning out like that.

I'm glad the kids aren't seriously (hospitalized) injured. That sounds like a dangerous bike trail that should have some warnings posted. The outcome could have been so much worse.

Good for them for being smart and sensible enough to actually be wearing helmets.

Gratitude, nothing but gratitude here to God alone. Amen!

By Blogger MSM, at 3:07 PM, April 14, 2008  

Wow, that was almost like an automobile accident. I'm glad they appear to be ultimately OK.

By Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee, at 8:21 PM, April 14, 2008  

Linda, that occured to me too. It did seem like a car accident.

MSM, I am so thankful that they did wear their helmets, not that they'd be allowed to ride without them...but am glad that they heed my instruction and do not take them off when Im not looking! I think there should be some warnings posted too. My daughter is contemplating writing some emails or letters concerning it, once she feels better.

Thanks both of you for the well wishes.

By Blogger Muddy, at 9:38 PM, April 14, 2008  

Post a comment

<< Home