From The Mud Puddle

Thursday, May 08, 2008

I cut the TV on to watch Survivor at 8pm and soon discovered that it was going to preempted to our local weather. Apparently we are in a tornado watch, with several local areas in Tornado warnings. Lots of severe thunderstorms with hail nearby. Right now things at my house is quiet, but it looks like it is headed our way soon.

I guess the snake my son saw outside a few minutes ago was slithering away to get out of the path of the storm.

Hmm, we are now in a warning in my county, though it looks like it will be an hour before it gets to my side of the county and where I am will not get the brunt of it.

Anyway....I'll catch Survivor online later on, and will pray all will be safe and sound. I continue to flip between our CBS and FOX station, mainly staying with the FOX station.


In other news from today, I had my first mammogram. I must say it was not as bad as I had heard it would be. It was slightly uncomfortable and awkward, and I am slightly sore, but overall just another somewhat intrusive test. I hope to never hear that one of the yearly exams finds anything...but I'll continue with my yearly as they tell me to do. (Just as I'll continue to see my family physician about other problems I have that need maintenance) It's just a part of being healthy I suppose no matter how much I dislike going to the doctor for ANYTHING.
Perhaps the feelings I have towards going to the doctor like I am comes from how much I felt like a piece of meat by the time I went through delivering two babies, miscarrying two, having one ectopic and then a hysterectomy when I was 35. By that point I was done. I did not want to see another needle or finger poke or give them anything else for them to screen. Today, I still felt like a piece of meat, but I blocked out my feelings and listened to the pointless, unimportant small talk my doctor tried to make with me. You would think that after 18 years of seeing this doctor, that he would be able to scan my file and be able to ask other questions or talk about more than how hot and dry it might be this summer. I know, I am just a piece of meat, but at least when I go to my primary physician, I feel he doesn't just look through me, but really cares.

They also informed me that I have good bone structure. How they can tell how good my bones are by my sticking my foot in this machine and letting it emit x rays into me is beyond me...but supposedly they can. I say this tongue in cheek, somewhat...also knowing that I do have a family history of osteoporosis and I do need to be aware of this.

So with both screenings, the mammogram and the bone test, I couldn't help but think of the modern marvel show on the history channel where they talked about the machine that was from the early/mid part of the 1900's that would xray a person's foot for shoe size. At first it was thought as cutting edge, but soon people found out that x rays could be dangerous....So I have to wonder sometimes if the risk of all these scans and tests we go through in life is worth the benefit for the majority of the public. Just a question my daughter and I discussed on the way home today after my tests.

And yes, my daughter went with me today. I teased her that she could hold my hand, but in reality, I wanted her to be aware of what a yearly would be like for her when she begins. Her overall impression was "I hate the wallpaper" (huge hydrangea flowers) and that she was bored.

Me too baby, me too...get used to it-you are to them a piece of meat....as you enter the wonderland of woman's health.

And if you are in woman's health, please know...I'm glad for all the advancements. Without them I probably would be dead right now given my history...but I am just tired of them...and I do not like the idea that I have years and years of facing these things again and again...and even more things the older and older I get. Oh joy!

4 comment(s):

Yuck. I have a ton to say on this subject - mimicking you about being a "piece of meat" and the fact that the medical ' profession ' is more of a money-making industry these days. I, too, wonder about the safety of some of the 'preventive' techniques.

Good post!

(sorry you missed Survivor!)

By Blogger MSM, at 10:50 PM, May 10, 2008  

Thanks! I held back believe it or not from a lot of my thoughts on the subject.

By Blogger Muddy, at 4:36 PM, May 13, 2008  

Ah, you are not a piece of meat. Don't feel that way!

You did catch up on Survivor, right? It was a good season in my opinion, though my winner pick did not win. I was pulling for Amanda and my daughter wanted Cirie to win.

By Blogger Rachael, at 9:14 PM, May 18, 2008  

Thanks Rachael. For the most part, this is the only Dr I go to that makes me feel that way. There was only one person in that office that actually had a real conversation with me and didn't look through me as she spoke. I do sort of wonder why I continue going there since I am do not really like how much I do feel like a piece of meat when I am there (especially considering I do not feel that way at my family Dr.)

I did catch up on the rest of Survivor. I watched it that Sunday night along with the Reunion show. I was disappointed that Amanda didn't win too as I had so hoped she would. I was glad that James won the extra prize. Did you go back and watch any of the ponderosa clips at cbs.com? They were very entertaining.

By Blogger Muddy, at 2:09 PM, May 20, 2008  

Post a comment

<< Home